Wednesday, January 14, 2015

What's this all about?!?

Welcome to "Novarian Cancer"! A blog about my journey being BRCA-1 positive and the daughter of a stage 3 ovarian cancer "fighter". I am taking this opportunity to share my personal experience and knowledge with you about what it means to be BRCA-1 positive and how to give myself and my family a fighting chance at avoiding cancer altogether.
My mother was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer. Meaning a large tumor was found on one ovary (her left) and had metastasized in the surrounding areas of the abdomen.
For 8 long years, she's fought this horrible disease. She's had every surgery, chemotherapy, radiation & clinical trial available.
They call this disease "the silent killer" for a reason.. Typically, a patient isn't aware they have it, until the tumor is so large that it causes an obstruction (stage 3 & 4). Once the cancer has made it to this point, it's time for damage control & even the strongest fighters, like my mom, may end up losing in the end.
She's in the final stages of her battle and recently accepted in home hospice care. I have quit my job and uprooted my family to take care of her. You see, not only is she my best friend, but she's also saving my life. I owe her this & so much more. I would do anything for her.
As I said earlier, I am BRCA-1 positive. I know that because of my mom (the matriarch of our family).

What is BRCA-1?!? 

Yea.. I said the same thing when I first heard it.

 BRCA-1 and BRCA-2 are the genetic mutations responsible for hereditary breast & ovarian cancer. Once a patient has tested positive for one of these genes, there's a 50% chance that their siblings and their children have it as well. The gene is passed down by one parent (hence the 50% chance).
My mom tested positive.
She made it a point that I get tested as well, so after I had my daughter 2 years ago, I went in for my genetic counseling and BRCA test, and I too have the gene.
There you have it, now I know  (which my mother never did until it was too late). She gave me a fighting chance! Now I can take all of the measures necessary to avoid getting breast and/or ovarian cancer... How?

Stick with me through my blog and you'll soon find out!



2 comments: