Thursday, January 15, 2015

Mean Gene

So there was, 27 years old, with a brand new baby, taking care of my mom with cancer and my husband was deployed in Afghanistan, and I'm getting tested for the BRCA-1 genetic mutation. (Which by the way, sounds so much cooler than it is...It's like I should be an X-men or something!)

Anyways, The test is simple! Just rinse your mouth with scope, spit in a cup & swab your cheek! Or you can do a blood test, but seriously, WHO in their right mind would rather have blood drawn than rinse with scope?!? We'll just say maybe some people are allergic to mouthwash! ;-)

After the test, the genetic counselor will sit down and go over your family tree/cancer history with you and some of the information about what it means to be in a family with this specific genetic mutation. The genetic counselors are some of the most amazing people ever! They are SO knowledgeable and sympathetic and what fuels them is that they're potentially saving people's lives!

Now comes the waiting game! The "sample" albeit blood, or spit, will be sent to California, for what will feel like an eternity, but in reality is only approximately 2-4 weeks.

Then you'll get the call... "hi may I speak with Kymberly Keel?"
"It's Keil, pronounced 'Kyle' "
"Hi Mrs. Keil, this is Carrie from Virginia Piper Cancer Center calling with your BRCA test results"
"OH!"
"Would you like to set up a time to come in and meet with us?"

hahahahahaha! Whaaaaaat?!?!? Just tell me the flippin results!!!!!!!!!

"sure, how about right now?"
"oh I'm SO sorry, how is next week"
"uhhh.. fine I guess, can you at least give me the results over the phone?"
"yes, I'm so sorry to inform you that your test came back positive for the BRCA-1 genetic mutation"
"ok see you next week"

feeeeeeeeew! I don't have to wait a week to find out.
***insert a different F word*** I have the gene...

Welp! Can't win 'em all! At least I KNOW!!!
...and that's just it, knowing is half the battle! What you do with your new found knowledge is up to you, but (in my personal opinion) I'd rather know so I can avoid what my mom has had to endure. Also, There is a 50% chance my daughter could have the gene. So, when she's 18 (if she's willing) we'll get her tested too.

I went in to have a sit down with the genetic counselor, and it was amazing. They explained EVERYTHING to me. What my percentages are of getting breast and ovarian cancer, the screening process for early detection of said cancers, risk reducing surgeries (this was before Angelina Jolie had hers done, so I was completely shocked when they told me).. and SO much more!

In my next entry, I will go over all the numbers and percentages that a BRCA-1 patient has and what you can do about it. I will take you through my journey of being poked and prodded every six months and what I"M doing with my knowledge of the gene!

If you or someone in your family has Ovarian or Breast cancer (or for goodness sakes, both) I urge you to look into getting tested for the BRCA-1/BRCA-2 genes! Not everyone wants to know, but everyone should at least have that option! Feel free to ask me any questions you have regarding the tests, if insurance covers it, how you're qualified to be tested, where to go for testing, etc. If I don't know, I have a network of people who DO know, & I will find out for you! Please!! Do NOT hesitate.. This is one of the most important things in the world to me! (aaaaand now I'm being preachy)

Love you all... Good night!

2 comments:

  1. Kym, you are an amazing,strong,intelligent, beautiful,positive force-of a women! I am so proud of you and this blog!
    I am here for you all the way. See you next week
    I love you tons, Aunt Con

    ReplyDelete