Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The cure for Ovarian Cancer

2 years ago Angelina Jolie opened up about her BRCA-1 gene and the double mastectomy she had as a part of her risk reducing surgeries.

Now she's opening up about a bilateral salpingo-oopherectomy she had last week (taking both ovaries and fallopian tubes while leaving the uterus and cervix)  so that her children never have to say "my mom died of Ovarian Cancer".

THIS is what it's all about people! THIS is the cure for ovarian cancer! Avoid it all together.

She had a scare there at the beginning. My heart goes out to her. We have chosen to do our risk reducing surgeries in the opposite order, but the final result is still the same. I chose to have my hysterectomy first because it also reduces the risk of breast cancer as well as ovarian cancer, and because it was my mother's dying wish.

You're a great inspiration to so many Angie and I'm so glad you're using your powerful influence for such a great cause and awareness.

A lot if the things she wrote about are the same things that I went through too! Check out my earlier blog posts for more in depth statistics on being BRCA positive and what the options are. I like that she says surgery isn't for everyone. I fully believe that too as I've said before, however I strongly believe it is the best bet for most!

Read Angelina's full story here: Angeline Jolie Pitt: Diary of a Surgery

Read the TMZ story of Angelina Jolie here

2 comments: